Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day 5K for SIDS Awareness






Sunday was the inaugural “Run for Their Lives” 5K for SIDS Awareness. Because it was for such a great cause and it was Mother’s Day we decided to make it a family affair and I would run it while Chris also ran it while pushing both kids in the stroller. There were also 7 or 8 people who ran it from the Forest Service so it was fun to see our friends too. And as an added bonus I got to meet my Spark friend, Katie (Pearljgurl), there!!! I also met her husband and mom who were also doing the race! We got there and got our shirts, got the stroller out and met Katie and our other friends and chatted while we waited for the race to start. It was a beautiful day and the perfect weather for a race. At 1030am, we were off! The first half was a gradual uphill (not a huge one, but I could feel it, especially after running my 5K on Friday night!) But that meant we got to go down too! A part of the course was also the last part of my marathon that I will be running in August so as I was running that part, I tried to envision myself coming across the bridge and finishing my marathon.  Towards the end, I passed a lady who I had been following the whole race so that felt good. I came into the finish and heard my kids yelling for me and finished in 30:05. Not my fastest time, but a really great race. When I got done I asked Chris how he did and he said that he was 9th overall and ran it in 22:10…yes, pushing both kids. I waited for Katie to finish and then we headed into the church for a pancake breakfast that was included in the race. It was a great way to end the race! The food was good and the company was even better! Throw in proceeds going to the Lach’s Legacy for SIDS Awareness and you have one awesome race!

No comments: