Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Dissapointing Personal Race, but Overall a Fun Day!

On Sunday, we headed up to Rapid City to run the Wellspring Stampede 10K, which was postponed from it's original April 26th date due to the snow we got on that day. Wellspring, Inc. is a non-profit corporation located in Rapid City, SD. Wellspring provides family focused therapeutic services for youth who cannot function within their family setting, the open community and the open school setting due to mental, emotional and/or chemical dependency problems.
So, the race is for a great cause and it's a really fun time. Kelly and I had planned on running the race together this year as Chris thought he would still be recovering from Boston, because the race was supposed to be a week afterwards. But, a couple of days before the race, Chris decided that he was going to push the kids and run the race. He had never pushed the kids in a 10k before so he figured it would be a good challenge. I felt good about the race going into it, but that would soon change! I ran the first mile (including a HUGE hill for most of the mile) in 9 minutes. You see, I cannot run 9 minute miles so how I did this, I still don't know. But I figured if I ran as fast as I could and get the hill out of the way, it would be smooth sailing the rest of the way. So, the next 2 miles, I also ran 9 minutes something for both miles. And then at mile 3, I crashed and burned....big time. My legs were just so tired after running that fast for 3 miles. I didn't know how I was even going to get through the next 3 miles, but somehow I managed to...very very slowly. When it was all said and done, I finished in 1:08:53, 7 minutes slower than I have ever run a 10K before! I ended up dead last in my age group (16/16) and was just really glad the race was over. Chris however had a great race and finished 4th in age group and ran it in 47:20, yes, pushing both of the kids. He also made a girl behind him puke because she was trying her darnest to beat him (she didn't). :) Kelly also ran a good race and has accomplished a lot in her running. Caiden ran in the Kid's 1 mile run after our race and ran it in 9:47 so he also did really well! Next year, I plan on coming back with a vengeance and running that race with a much different strategy than this time around!


















No comments: