Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I ran 16 miles!


That's right, 16 miles! The most I have ever run in my life! On Saturday morning, Lauren and I drove up Spearfish Canyon about 13.5 miles and then ran down the canyon. When I got out of the canyon, I still had 2.5 miles to go and that was hard, because by that time, it was around 10am and already 80 degrees. I ran around the park a few times finding shade wherever I could. Thankfully, I had a 2nd bottle of water on the back of my car so I grabbed that after I got out of the canyon and that's what really kept me going those last 2 miles. After 15 miles, I was SO tired and hot, but I knew I had to keep going with less than a mile left to go. I finished in 2 hours 50 minutes and 55 seconds and I was happy with that. The 13.5 miles that I ran in the canyon are actually the last 13.5 miles of the marathon in August, which was nice to do a little training on the actual course. So now, here's my thinking. I ran 16 miles - just 10.2 more for a full marathon and I can run 10.2 miles no problem! :) But the thought of running 10.2 miles after running those 16 miles is a little intimidating at this point! Thank goodness I have 7 more weeks to train! This weekend, I'm shooting for 18 miles! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Mindy B said...

You go girl!!! You can run those extra 10.2 miles, no problem!!! You are gonna ROCK the marathon!