Monday, May 12, 2008

A Wonderful Mother's Day Weekend!

Well, it's back to the grind of a Monday after a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. I am so blessed to be the mom of my 2 beautiful children. I feel like the luckiest person ever to have the great family that I have.

On Friday night, we went to a local steakhouse for a going-away party for a co-worker of Chris'. She has been with the Forest Service for 25 years, which is crazy to think about being in one job for that long. She is actually staying here though, but working for the BLM now. We had a fun time at the dinner eating the great food and listening to the stories that she and others told about her 25 years with the FS. It was fun to be around adults and have some grown-up conversations! And even better, a few people commented on how I look like I have lost weight! What a confidence booster! And right when I needed it too after not losing any weight this past week!

On Saturday morning, we woke up to snow, yes snow, on May 10th! Not what I had in mind for a Saturday at all! I really wanted to get a run in outside, but I'm a wimp so off to the gym I went. I'm glad I did go to the gym though, because there was a lady on the elliptical next to me who I chatted with the entire hour which made it go by really fast! So, with my workout done, I head home so Chris can go to work. He normally doesn't work on Saturdays, but was offered some overtime to drive around the forest and make sure people were following the rules of the forest. Well, with the snow, he didn't have any people to watch so he ended up working a couple of hours and then coming home.

I spent the afternoon making dinner for a friend of mine whose baby just had surgery. One of the holes on the baby's head (there are 5) closed which caused the baby's head to start to become misshapen. They had to open it back up and then reshape his skull. Now get this! In order to do that, they actually had to take the skull OUT! How scary does that sound. But the surgery went great and he is doing great and was letting me hold him and smiling at me too when I brought the dinner over. Most of you know that I am not a great cook, but with my mom's help over the phone I made a GREAT lasagna. And that's not just me talking - my friend said that she and her family enjoyed it! :) So, thanks Mom!

Saturday night was spent playing some Guitar Hero - wow, the whole family is addicted! It's a really fun game and the kids love to watch us play and take a spin on it themselves. They can even hit a few of the notes too! Lots of music and dancing and being silly! My kids are sure rockers!

Sunday morning was Mother's Day and we woke up to a beautiful day! It was finally supposed to get up to 70 degrees! Yes, after the snow yesterday even! Chris and the kids let me sleep in (something I rarely get to do!) so I took advantage of it and didn't get up until about 830! Wow! That's late! They had made pictures for me with their handprints which were just adorable and Caiden had made some flowers for me in preschool that were also very sweet. After Chris and I both got our runs in, we headed across the street to the park and played for a while. It was so nice outside, I just wanted to stay out there forever. The kids rode their bikes, played on the slides and swings and had races with each other (I think we will have a family of runners!) When we got back, the neighbors were outside and invited us over to play a game called "hang the balls" or something like that. It sounds a little crazy, but it's really fun. There are 2 balls connected to the ends of a string and you have to throw them and try to wrap them around different colored bars and each color is worth a certain amount of points. I had never seen the game before and I ended up not being very good so it's a good thing you only go to 21 before someone wins! It was fun though and the kids loved watching us and cheering for us and asking how many points we had.

After the game, we headed over to Applebees for dinner so I could get my favorite - WINGS! Lauren was working and so she was our server, which the kids just love and my wings were delicious! After a stop at Walmart for some new fish (ours got sick and went to live with God and Jesus) and a new booster seat for Caiden (he was SO excited to finally hit that 40 pound mark so he could get one, because all of his little friends have one), we headed home for baths and bed for the kiddos and Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters for me! :)

It was a wonderful weekend and I hope all of the mothers out there had a wonderful day of their own! MOMS RULE!

No comments: