Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day 4 Mile Race

This morning I ran in a small 4 mile race to start off 2009. The proceeds went to the track and country programs at Black Hills State so it was for a good cause too. My friend, Lacey, and I did this event last year, but we just walked inside on the track as we weren't quite running yet, but this year, I decided to do the outdoor race. My goal for this year is to run in at least one race each month. I got January's out of the way quickly! The weather turned out to be pretty nice and was in the 20's with a little wind. I actually got a little hot during the race. It was supposed to be a 5K race, but the creek overflowed onto the bike path were the race was going to be held and now has a few inches of ice on it so they changed the course. We had the choice to run 2 miles or 4 miles and since I was already planning on doing 3 miles, I did the 4 miles. It was a pretty slow race for me; my time was 43:20 and I think a lot of it had to do with the roads being snow covered. Oh, and maybe because the whole month of December I didn't run much! :) I don't run very much outside in the winter to begin with so to try and run fast in the snow, didn't work so great for me. I felt like I was in slow motion the whole time and I was just one step away from slipping on the snow and getting injured. And I certainly didn't want to get hurt on the first day of the year! So, I took it pretty easy this time around. It was a really fun race and the 15 people that were there, were really great. Hopefully, they keep this event up and it brings in more people, because it was a wonderful way to start off 2009! Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Mindy B said...

Good for you for doing the 4 miles!! I totally would have wussed out and just did 2, lol. Great job Shan, you're soooooo going to have to help me get back on track this year. ;)