Monday, November 2, 2009

Sweet Tooth 5K

Chris literally found this race on Friday afternoon on a flyer in a Starbucks in Rapid. I was all set to drive to Gillette, WY for another race, but opted to do the one in Rapid because it's a lot closer and I would be able to sleep 2 extra hours by going to the race in Rapid. The race was put on by the Dental Hygienists Association with the proceeds going to Breast Cancer so it was for a great cause too. Since it was on Halloween, there was a costume contest and I knew I needed to come up with something cool. I decided on a road with double "no passing" lines and cars pinned to me and 2 runners on my shoulder as we run on the shoulder of the road. I also had two signs on my back which you will see in the pictures. I have had a cold for a good week now so I wasn't feeling 100% going into the race, but I figured it was only 3 miles and I would just go slow if I needed to. The first mile was great - 9:42 - but that was the only great thing about this race. I started coughing soon after the first mile and had to stop and walk a lot to cough. At the turnaround, there was some water (thankfully!) and that helped a little, but I was still going really slow and my next 2 miles were in something like 11:21 and 10:45. So, it was a slow race with me finishing in 32:06. But I was happy with that after being sick and not being able to breathe for most of the race! I won 2nd place in the costume contest too and got a really cool medal so it was all worth it! There was Starbucks coffee and Halloween cookies afterwards too! It's definitely a race I hope they do again so we can continue to go!

















2 comments:

Amber said...

awesome costume! very creative!

Robin said...

Great costume, and congrats on finishing the race! The time is great considering how you felt.