Thursday, September 24, 2009

YellowJacket 5K


Sunday was the 2nd Annual YellowJacket 5K/10K. Last year I ran the 10K and ran my PR(59:59) at that race, but last month, I beat that PR(58:31) so I decided to run the 5K this year. That, and the fact that since my marathon, my training hasn't been the greatest. :) I could say that I wanted to beat my 5K PR, but I really knew that was not going to happen at this race. My New Years Resolution was to run a Race each month, but I never said I had to run the farthest distance each race offered! This was my 15th race of the year so I thought slacking off just a little was okay. My friend Amy also ran this race pushing her 2 year old daughter, Avryl so like my children, Avryl is another child that spends a lot of weekends at races. We started at the football field and then race on the bike path to the city park where we found the turnaround and headed back to the football field. The route was relatively flat with a few up and downs, but no real hills to speak of. My kind of race! I was hoping that I could run it in under 30 minutes as that my general goal for all 5Ks, but I really didn't know what was in store for this race. The Garmin wouldn't turn on right before the race so I had no idea how fast I was going at all. Amy runs 27-28 minute 5Ks so I just tried to keep her in my sights for as long as I could because then I knew I would be under 30. The whole thing went by really fast and before I knew it, I was back at the football field with the scoreboard reading 29 minutes something....I still had to go around part of the track so I wasn't done yet. I booked it at the end to make sure I ended up with the clock saying 29 something and not 30 something and I finished in 29:49 - an average mile pace of 9:36. Not too shabby for me at all. I was very happy with that. After the race, Caiden wanted to race me around the track and I must say after running 3 miles, I was a little tired and he was speeding around that thing. Chloe was right behind us though and never gave up. She is getting really fast too! I even won an Olive Garden gift card at the door prize giveaway! After the race, me and Amy headed to the Spearifsh Chophouse with the kids for their famous breakfast buffet. We hadn't been there since last year after the race, but it was just as good. Caiden said that pancake was the best pancake he had EVER had and Chloe ate her plate clean. It was a great way to relax after the race. I KNOW I ate way more calories than I burned in that 5K, but each calorie was well worth it! :)





No comments: