Friday, April 24, 2009

Kevin Whirlwind Horse 5K Race Report

On Saturday, I ran in the Kevin Whirlwind-Horse 5K at Black Hills State University. All of the proceeds go towards a scholarship fund which is given to a Native American student at BHSU each year who displays leadership. Kevin Whirlwind Horse was a student at Black Hills in the early 1980's until he was tragically killed in a car accident in 1983. Now, his name lives on through this race.They started with the kid's races and Caiden is the youngest runner usually, he holds his own! He ran the 1/4 mile run and ended up 11th out of about 20 kids. :)I ran this race last year and ran my 5K PR time there so I was excited to see if I could beat that time. There was a light drizzle and temps in the 40s during the entire race so it was just about right for me! It's a really easy course ran through a park on a bike path, so it's pretty fast. I felt pretty good through the whole race and knew that I would be close to my PR time. I even passed a guy in the last half mile which I never am able to do! As I came into the last stretch, I saw my sister and my kids cheering me on and I sprinted it out at the end, and ended up with a time of 27:42 - 12 seconds SLOWER than my last years time....Ouch! But hey, what's 12 seconds, right? It was still a great race. I ended up 4th in my age group as a lot of college students run this race and I am still in my 20s. IF I was already 30, I would have been 2nd in my age group! ha! My friend Rebecca ran too and it was her first 5K so it was a great day overall. She did end up 2nd in the 30s age group and got a medal! :) And I have to give props to my friend Tim, who pushed his 2 year old daughter in the 10K and finished in 52 minutes! Pretty awesome!








No comments: